Home » Destinations » Australia » Australian Sponsored Work (457) Visas, Step 3: Special Cases and Things to Consider

Australian Sponsored Work (457) Visas, Step 3: Special Cases and Things to Consider

This post is about obtaining sponsored working visas for Australia. The other posts in this series are Australian Sponsored Work Visas: A Primer, and Step 2: Applying.

Laptop Destruction

Chances are, you want to do this to your computer by now…

Phew! You’re finally done with your application; now you just have to be patient and wait for your visa decision. Chances are, you want to put a sledgehammer through your computer from all the paperwork and waiting…but I really wouldn’t recommend it (unless the computer is already completely unsalvageable like the one above).

This page should give a rough indication of how long you will have to wait. While you’re waiting, you can check the status of your application on the eVisa page. I wouldn’t expect many updates though; for me, it seemed like the page only changed once they were about to grant the visa.

If your current visa expires while you are waiting for the decision, you are granted a Bridging Visa A, which allows you to stay in the country on the same visa restrictions as your previous visa (so, if your previous visa was a tourist visa, you are not allowed to work).  

The decision can take varying amounts of time, but if you do not have the right to work, your employer should be ready to accept that you might not be able to start right away. For reference, my three visa applications took 3 months, 2 days, and 2 weeks to process, respectively.

It’s important to note that if you want to leave the country while you are on a Bridging Visa A, you need to apply for a Bridging Visa B, as your Bridging Visa A will cease as soon as you leave Australia. This visa costs $125 and can often be issued on the same day as your application.

If your previous visa is still valid, you can leave the country and re-enter (provided it doesn’t expire while you’re away). However, this is a bit of a confusing area that many people in immigration disagreed on, so I would call immigration and get it put on your record that you were told this before you go. In addition, since your visa is an onshore visa (because you applied within Australia), you have to be on Australian shores when it is granted, so immigration needs to know not to issue the visa while you are away.

In addition, if anything happens to your passport while your visa is being processed (it gets lost and needs to be replaced, it expires, etc), you will need to inform immigration as soon as possible because your previous passport details will be invalid and could result in a denied application.


Applicants with a Previous 457 Visa

If you already hold a 457 visa but you want to change employers, you no longer have to go through the entire application process again. Your employer will still have to apply to be a sponsor and nominate you, but you will only have to apply for a visa when the previous visa is about to expire. In addition, you have to make sure that it’s no more than 28 days between the day you or your employer gave notice that employment would end and starting your new job, otherwise your original 457 visa will be cancelled.


Applying from Outside Australia 

Applicants that are outside Australia go through roughly the same visa process; however, there are three major differences.

  • You must find an employer while outside the country. This is quite a difficult task, since companies will often want to see you face-to-face before hiring you.
  • Visa medicals have to be performed by one of a panel of doctors. If there isn’t one near you, you may have to travel quite a way to be able to meet this requirement.
  • No visa is granted on application. You must stay outside Australia until your visa is granted. I was quite happy with this, since it meant I got to tramp around New Zealand for three months while Australia was deciding whether they wanted me!


Changes from 1 July 2012

As I mentioned above, on the 1st of July it will become more difficult to apply for most working visas because of the new SkillSelect program. To me, this is just an extra, unnecessary bureaucratic step in the visa process, but the immigration department claims that SkillSelect will “ensure the skilled migration program is based on the economic needs of Australia.”

SkillSelect means that you will have to write an expression of intent about why you want to work in Australia and lodge it with the immigration office…unless you are applying for an employer-sponsored visa. This means that SkillSelect will not adversely affect 457 applicants like it will those that are applying for general skilled migration. Instead, it means that you can write an expression of interest and leave it in the system for up to two years — and employers can find you and start the hiring process from their end! While this doesn’t guarantee you an offer, it certainly helps to get your name out there as much as possible!


The Road to Permanent Residency

If you stay on this visa for 2 years (either with the same employer or in the same occupation) and your employer is willing, you are allowed to apply for sponsored permanent residency, which will make all this bureaucratic pain worth it!

Even with all that, this is not an absolutely comprehensive guide to the sponsored working visa, but hopefully I have clarified some things that may have otherwise been as clear as mud. If you need more information, please don’t hesitate to check out the official immigration 457 visa page, immigration booklet 9, details on the labour agreement visa (which I haven’t covered here), or contact me with any queries you may have.

Did you enjoy this post? Subscribe for exclusive content!

Sign up for my free monthly newsletter to get my latest news, photos, and travel tips—with exclusive content not found on this blog—straight to your inbox! No spam, I promise.

4 Responses to Australian Sponsored Work (457) Visas, Step 3: Special Cases and Things to Consider

  1. Milena April 1, 2012 at 7:48 pm Reply

    I just got approved for a sauclbss 300 (fiance) visa 9 months after I applied. Australia does thorough health and background checks, so don’t expect a quick application process. Then again I migrated from the US, so it might be easier for you since AU is part of the British Commonwealth.Definitely make 2 copies of your passport keep one at your home in AU separate from where you keep your passport, and leave one at home with relatives you trust.If you apply to open a banking account in Australia, do it within 6 weeks of arrival and you’ll only need your passport to open it, otherwise it will be difficult to get the right documentation.For partner visas, they can only be sponsored by an Australian citizen or permanent resident, and you have to be married to apply within Australia. Give at least 2 months before your visa runs out to get married there’s a 30 day waiting period to marry, and you’ll of course have to find a celebrant and a venue and all that. If you want to apply for a fiancee visa you have to do so outside of AU and marry within 9 months of the visa being granted.Also make sure you bring official/notarized copies of your birth certificate and other ID forms so you can apply for an Australian driving licence I know you can use your international one for awhile, but if you’re going to be a permanent resident you’ll need an Australian one.Good luck, and hope you have fun in Australia!PS some people have mentioned the defacto spouse visa, but from talking to my migration agent I’ve been told that the defacto visa is pretty much only for gay or lesbian couples, and if you’re a heterosexual couple they’ll basically ask well why aren’t you legally married? because there’s no reason you wouldn’t be.

    • Kristin June 13, 2012 at 4:49 pm Reply

      Thanks Milena for the useful information. Glad to hear your visa finally came through!

  2. Paola June 11, 2015 at 8:12 pm Reply

    Hi Kristin,

    Pretty clear your information.
    I have been on the 457 visa but unfortunately my posicion was redundant and so I did apply to a partner visa 801. Today I have found out that I can’t work unless I will find another sponsor so I will be able to work at all and the worse part it’s that after leaving my previous job I found a new position today and they end it up offering the job but I can’t work. I have to wait until the partner visa will be approved -12 to 15 months process- which I can’t wait to do anything at home!

    My question is: can I work volunteer fora couple of months so ten I can really to a new nomination? The457 will be still running until my 801 will be approved.

    Thanks for any suggestion ASAP!

    • Kristin November 10, 2015 at 10:33 pm Reply

      Hi Paola, I hope you were able to receive the advice you needed. I apologise that I wasn’t able to reply — unfortunately this situation was beyond my knowledge on the subject. Good luck and I hope you were able to stay in Australia!

One Pingback/Trackback for Australian Sponsored Work (457) Visas, Step 3: Special Cases and Things to Consider

  1. Australian Sponsored Work Visas, Step 2: Applying | A Pair of Boots and a Backpack

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Connect With Me